Monday, February 20, 2012

My Parents

Well last week I missed last weeks blog entry which isn't good so hopefully I can make up for it with a great post this week. Before I really start talking about my topic I think I should talk about my parents since I spoke about myself in the last entry. My mom is a beautiful Honduran women with a very religious background, while my dad a Puerto Rican man how also was raised pretty religious. Basically in common they are two hispanic religious parents who have a pretty strong faith. My parents are great they are basically the best parents someone can ask for and are very laid back, BUT they can be sometimes a little close minded. 
An example one time in my life like very many people I was confused about my religion and faith. I was tired of going to church and just being forced to go made me question my faith  more and more. Then one day I was woken up for church and I just felt like I just had to say something, so I told them how I felt about my faith thinking they would understand. Well was I wrong they flipped out just in disgust as if I just committed a horrible crime. They yelled in disappointment which made me feel horrible since my parents are so laid back I would just figure they would have talked it out with me and try to understand but the close mindedness closed in and came in full force. 
Another example is when I got my tattoo now that was an experience. See my parents are old school not really understanding the generation and all the body modifications that kids in our generation are into like me. I'm the person who wants a lot of tattoos, piercings and all that good stuff, but if my parents found that out they would never understand and again would be in disgust. But I digress, not even a year ago I couldn't wait anymore I was dying for a tattoo I just had to get one so I got one. Now I understand the two main reasons my parents were upset about 1. I got it behind there backs without there permission and 2. I did not get it professionally done (I actually got it in some guys basement in his room). The thing that upseted me though is that they didn't let me do what I wanted with my own body. They wouldn't let me express my own creativity and how I wanted to live my own life, but aye life goes on and they have accepted it. They really don't want me to get anything else done which is going to be a problem but I'll just keep them happy for awhile. Now I don't want to make my parents seem like ignorant people cause they're not they are awesome amazing parents it's just difficult to be such a open minded person while they are still in that old school religious mind set. 

1 comment:

  1. I can relate here: nice examples with church and the tattoo. I also got a tattoo when I was in college, and my very religious mother disowned me for a few weeks--no talking, no support, nothing--and 20 years later I still hear, "well, I know of a great plastic surgeon" to remove the tattoo, which is very small and on my ankle. We laugh about it now, but back then, it meant that I was a biker chick about to ride off to Sturgis.

    Since you are in college, I assume you're at least 18 (or close to). Have you considered sitting down with your parents and renegotiating the rules now that you're an adult?

    ReplyDelete